Sunday, October 25, 2009

A week to remember........

On Sunday Oct. 18, 2009.....Sharon and I got home from staying the night in Richland, after witnessing the Johnson's sealing. We arrived in town just in time for PEC meeting. The Bishop talked about his meeting with Elder Bednar. He said that Elder Bednar's counsel was to "be good boys and do what we are supposed to". The Bishop also reported that we need to spend more time focusing on the thoughts that the Spirit prompts and not just all the things that we are hearing or being concerned about taking notes regarding every spiritual thing to which we are listening. He also said that revelation was not so much like turning on a light switch, but was in fact like watching the sunrise, happening gradually over time until the fullness of the awakening occurs. The Bishop also discussed what it is to truly understand the nature of our callings in the church. Upon the request of the Bishop, I related an experience that I had with Brothers Bill Waites and Eric Stones. Weeks earlier, I was complaining to them about the frustrations that I felt were associated with being the Elder's Quorum President and seeing very little fruits from our efforts in the Moses Lake 5th ward. I related to being a farmer that prepares the land, plants the seeds, time after time, season after season, but is unable to yield a crop when it comes time to harvest. Brother Waites eventually stated that the does not think in mortal terms, so he has only called me to farm......not to harvest. Bill counseled that I should just keep farming and sowing and the Lord would do the harvesting on His time. I will forever be grateful to Bill Waites for assisting me in realizing just what is the true nature of my calling and commission. It was a good sabbath. Kevin Earl taught from lesson 44 of the Joseph Smith manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment