Monday, October 26, 2009

Continued

Monday Oct. 19, 2009.....Mediocre work day.....Bob and Alisa Johnson came over. We discussed how the gospel does not promise that trials and suffering will not occur, but that it provides peace and joy admits our trials and supplies the strength and patient attitude required to overcome our sorrows. It was a perfect end to the day.

Tuesday Oct 20, 2009.....Another less than rewarding day at work followed by a chastisement from my supervisor about some complaints by the clerical staff. Consequently, I was enraged and in a genuine snit. I went home and the anger continued, even until the time that Kevin Earl called and requested a blessing for his wife. I was in no mode to serve in such a capacity, so I resigned myself to call others who could complete the request. I called 9 people and left voice messages. The 8th of which, Bob Johnson, called me back and insisted that I come pick him up as he was just heading home from work. I pick Bob up about 6:30 pm in my 1979 yellow Chevy Pickup. I was still upset as I listen to Bob's commentaries of how his recent temple experience had drastically improved his spirituality and feelings of closeness to the Spirit. I could help but feel happy for my friend as I saw the genuine joy and sincerity in his countenance. We arrived at the Earl's, and although I had felt better, I was in no condition to receive inspiration from the Spirit at that time. Fortunately, I had the where withal to instruct Bob on the particulars of completing the priesthood ordinance. We arrived to find Sister Karen Earl gravely ill from strep throat and an ear infection. I anointed and Bob sealed, also accompanying with it his first priesthood blessing. It was amazing and the warm of the Spirit seemed to sweep over all that we present. As we concluded the blessing, all animosity in my heart had given way to the enticing stillness that the Spirit had been trying for several hours to get me to give in to. I was a peace and Sister Earl instantly seemed to perk up and regain some strength. As we drove home an debriefed, Bob spoke of how he felt the Spirit was more of a constant companion and that he was striving to be more obedient to its promptings. He said he felt inspired to call me back and knew that it was not idle chit chat that I sought, but was church business that needed to be addressed. He said that it was a miracle that he was getting off early and only worked a four hour shift instead of his normal eight hours.....this was the only time he was available. I thanked him for yielding to the impressions of the Holy Ghost, for if he hadn't, Satan would have robbed me from a fantastic opportunity to assist Bob as a priesthood leader and magnify my calling by teaching him how to effect a priesthood blessing. Thus allowing him the ability to bless the lives of his wife, family, friends, and fellow church members. I'm grateful that the Spirit did not give up on me and increased my faith through that experience......as facilitated by Bob Johnson's faithful response to the whisperings of the still small voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment