Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Exodus.....

Wednesday Oct. 21, 2009.

While at work I received a call from Bishop Redford....my newly discovered comrade, Andrew Rockne, had a disagreement with his landlord and was evicted. I was able to muddle through my day and get myself with my monstrous, lemon yellow, run down Chevy Silverado to the trailer that was the former residence of my friend. Arriving on the seen just a few minutes later than our scheduled work party rendezvous, I was taken back by the caravan of pickup trucks and priesthood holders that where already present, sleeves rolled up, and having most of the single wide packed up. As shelving, bed sets, and belongings of all sorts made their way into the backs of the various truck beds, I approached Andrew who was out front of the trailer. As I spoke with him, people passing behind us with assorted items, the headlights from a nearby pickup illuminated the shame, embarrassment, and the heartache that was splashed across his face. In my infinite wisdom, I asked him how he was doing. The response started with a slight tremble, that grew into a quiver, and then his entire frame heaved in shear despair as the sobs turned to weeping and the weeping cascaded into bitter tears. He told me of how his landlord refused to make even the most minor of repairs that were required to make the place livable. While explaining that refusing to pay rent as a right for not having the property adequately maintained, Andrew wept harder as he spoke of the threats and the rejection that followed. Honestly, I have been faced with similar displays of emotions in the course of my coming and goings, but seeing my friend in true agony of soul in that moment made me inexplicably uncomfortable. Out of complete awkwardness, I threw my arms around him in an effort to comfort him. He cried even harder, then simply said...."I'm scared....what will people think". In that moment, I search within the deepest recesses of my feeble mind to come up with the right words to say. I opened my mouth, hoping that something inspiring might flow out.....but the only thing I could say it...."That's why we are here....to help....that's what the church does......if these folks didn't care.....they wouldn't have come". He finally chucked and seemed to perk up a bit when I said...."Don't sweat it.....will kill your landlord later".....(I would never really do that.....in case you were wondering.....but I did give the missionaries the order to go visit him daily).

So the point of this entry is show something that I perceived to be nothing short of a miracle. A body of people who hardly knew this man, dropped everything in a moments notice to come to the aid of a brother in distress. But the real miracle came little by little as I saw Andrew come from a place of sorrow to an appearance of true joy. Every person that removed a piece of furniture, a washer/dryer, some clothing, or nick knack from that dilapidated coffin of dwelling ....seemed to take a minuscule portion of Andrew's anxiety with it. Until, at the last perfect moment when all was removed and the final items were unloaded at Leon Baker's garage, that a feeling of being loved and protected had replaced any fear. It was amazing. As I later visited the Rockne family at the Sage and Sun Motel....I was greeted with hugs and heartfelt gratitude. I saw a family that was still unsure about what the future would present, but a comfort and a quiet peace swept over all of us as Andrew spoke about how his embarrassment turned to feelings of being genuinely loved by a group of strangers brought together only by their fellowship in the Gospel. I received a first hand witness that the Spirit is the comforter and that a small group of saints engaged in a righteous cause has power to impact the hearts of men. I'm grateful I could be apart of it.

.......Not to mention Andrew and his family are wicked awesome.....

No comments:

Post a Comment