Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It just keeps getting better.....

Thursday Oct. 22, 2009.

I will probably not say much about my job with the Department of Children and Family Services in this.....what I have come to think of as my on-line cyber journal.....because rather than speak of what I do as a Child Welfare Social Worker, I'd rather speak to what I have learned from. I learn alot from my work, but derive little enjoyment from it. It is the greatest blessing in an unstable economic climate to have gainful employment....for that I am completely grateful.....but truth be told.....I'm not a big fan......


So my entry begins having passed through another barrage of character building and learning experiences at the old grind stone. At the days end, I found myself and my trusted Chevy stead....affectionately known as the Banana Boat.....(I'll think of something more masculine in a later entry)....in the service of Andrew Rockne. Bob Johnson and I met Andrew at the trailer of dread and woe to pick up the last of his earthy possessions. When we arrived at Baker's, unloaded the remaining items in the "Boat's" bed, we decided to deliberate and debrief the course of events of the past couple days. Bob and I spoke about our conversion process and how Satan comes at you sideways as soon as any initiative is taken to get active and improve your spiritual circumstances. However, despite what he throws at you, the Gospel is a sure foundation that can provide some stability admit the chaos of life. We talked about how trials never go away with increase closeness to the Father and the Savior, in fact they often multiply, but the Spirit will provide a change of heart, attitude, desire, and perspective that will not only provide the strength to overcome our trials, but to discover happiness from because of them.

The conversation culminated when I asked Andrew how he felt despite everything. His reply was simple but magnificent. With true sincerity, Andrew's head raised a bit, his eyes opened wider, and in a direct and plain statement of faith he confessed....."I feel JOY"........

To follow up I said...."Now how can that be......your were just evicted....your diabetes is slowly killing you.....and you are going through one of the most miserable times of your life......but you are honestly going to tell me that you are experiencing joy right now....". "And really loved" he interjected, as if adding punctuation to my statement. I then bore witness to the divinity of Jesus Christ and the reality of his Gospel and the real...tangible peace that comes from giving your whole heart to it. Bob's comments and additional testimony was the frosting on the whole experience. We challenged Andrew to pray at least on time per day with his family and see if a change comes over them. Bob also invited him to pray in that moment and in the quiet of the night, in front of Baker's garage, with only the soft glow of an open car door for light, Andrew offered his thanks to God for the blessings that he had receive amidst all his challenges. It was another touching moment. Again I was glad I could see it happen.

Now if anyone thinks this is simply an exaggeration or I am maintaining that I have experiences like this all the time....I just want to reassure you that I have been having a really good week.....and this many positive spiritual experiences at one time is not something I am accustomed to having.

No comments:

Post a Comment