Sunday, November 22, 2009

The story thus far

Well.....I thought when I opened this blog as more of my personal online journal, that I miraculously would become more consistent in documenting the events of my mortal probation.......Alas, as with so many other projects I've started, maintaining this has been far more difficult than originally anticipated........So, here's a brief overview of what I've missed.......


On Saturday October 24, 2009 took my daughter, Katie, with me to coats for kids......only to realize that they had opened 3 hours earlier than advertised and essentially all the quality winter gear and accessories had been taken. At the very least, I got to see Katie have a good time trying on all the winter hats and giggling, until settling on a pink fleece beanie cap with some tassels and a chin strap that tied underneath. Watching her somehow eased the frustration of arriving to what I thought was being on time, to find out that the rules had changed and the games was almost over. At it's most basic level, I'm glad that she found a cap that she liked....and later a small pink jacket, because I felt victorious and slightly vindicated by taking home some minor spoils of war.......didn't feel like a complete waste of time that way. Took Katie to grandma's house and then headed off to help clean the church. I vacuumed a bit, got a few ringtones for my cell phone from Devon Carroll, and talked to my home teaching companion Detrick Cornelson about his upcoming move on October 29, 2009 to Arizona and going home teaching on 10/25/09. Can't remember anything else exciting or note worthy that occurred so I'll stop it there.


Sunday October 25, 2009.....Woke up and started the day like any other. Jon, my son, arose in pretty content spirits. My daughter, Katie, arose as she does most mornings, as if she was somehow channeling the spirit of an ancient tyrannical carnivore that dominated the planet billions of years ago. So, needless to say she was in good spirits that morning. It wasn't long before I felt like I had, emotionally, gone 12 rounds with the Super Heavy Weight Boxing Champion of the World.......dealing with my child often leaves me feeling wiped out and a bit perturbed as I head off to various church leadership meetings. Since like September 2008 I have been called to serve as the Elder's Quorum President for the Moses Lake 5th Ward. It has been extremely difficult, often pushing me beyond my limits, but has been the most rewarding calling I've ever had. So, having left my home in a hailstorm of frustration, anxiety, and in just a general snit....I arrived at my meeting. I can't remember what was said, but as soon as the opening prayer was said, something clicked inside and all the anger simply vanished....in reality, it was more like the negative emotions I had at the time were simple exchanged for a satisfying sense peace that made what I was feeling unnecessary. That is what tells me that there is a God.....no one can ever convince me otherwise....Had a peaceful church experience.....it turned out to be a great day........but I guess it's a matter of perspective. Went home teaching for the last time with Detrick Cornelson. Went to Chad Braak, Scott Weech, John Latham, Joe Florea, tried to find Larry Bronson (whose girlfriend kicked him out), Anthony and Nancy Milonaes, and Olivia Jensen.....it may seem like we taught allot of people, but we actually only invited them to our ward trunk' or treat and family movie activity on Halloween 10/31/09. I was tempted to only name all the people contacted and not leave any clarifying statements......that way it would look like I was an impressive home teacher.....but the truth is I struggle like everyone else with it. Finished the night talking to Detrick about his upcoming move and his fear/realization that for the first time in his whole life he would have to stop making excuses, stop living so dependently on others, and become his own man. (These were actually Detrick's words and not my personal interpretation of his circumstances) It was an interesting conversation that left me feeling like I should have been closer to my home teaching companion and cultivated that relationship more. I don't feel like I really ever knew him. Consequently I realize now that there were many times that he needed a friend and I was too oblivious to recognize his desire for some fellowship.......I hope I'm more attuned in the future or at least far less selective about the promptings to which I choose to listen.


Work week stressful and not as rewarding as I would hope....has its moments. I recently received a number of new cases and was covering for my office mate/work buddy who was out on medical leave. I have been so backed up and overwhelmed that it has taken its toll on my job performance. Anyhow, other than a mild depression....all's well on the home front......


Wednesday October 28, 2009:
Stressful work day. Kevin was in Hawaii on vacation, so Milo and I said that we would hold a presidency meeting on Saturday October 31, 2009 as we set up for our family movie activity. Something told me I should have just done a meeting tonight......


Thursday October 29, 2009:
Only highlight, went down to the Eagles club to a Halloween party with my mother, sister, niece, nephew, cousins, Sharon, and the kids. Was enjoyable.....Katie aquired a little boyfriend that she dragged around holding hands with the entire time...Sharon and I danced, and the kids did a number of activities. All in all a really good time. I even got in a couple of Karaoke numbers in myself.



Friday October 30 2009:
I wore a blond wing to work as a gag for Halloween.....some people actually said I looked better with hair......most just poke fun. We later took the kids trick or treating around the office. Jon was a giant Koala and Katie was fairy princes ballerina......I hope she grows out of that phase. Okay enough for now.


Saturday October 31 2009:
Halloween. Spent most of the day preparing for the Elder's Quorum family activity......Movie night.....showed Ice Age 3.....was great after the trunk' or treat. I was stressful setting up alone. The kids were unruly and getting in the way. It was hard to involve them in assisting me while I set up the projector, bed sheet screen, and sound system. Milo Bushman called me and said that he couldn't come and help set up because one of his children were ill. Kevin Early was in Hawaii.....I hate doing activities without assistance. I really missed Ty Robbins, my former first counselor....he was always reliable and was a tremendous example of support and dedication to ones callings.
It was a fun event. 37 people and children. The Rockne's came and we sat by them and talked a bit. I feel very comfortable with them........turned out to be a great day......plus it was an added treat being able to raid my children's Halloween candy.......Kit Kat and Snicker's bars.....I'm completely addicted......Crunch bars too......

No comments:

Post a Comment